Skip to content ↓

Kingsmead School Offer for Special Educational Needs and Disability

At Kingsmead, our goal is to remove any barriers to learning for every child so that all children can achieve their full potential and enjoy school.

What is Special Educational Needs and Disability? 

A Special Educational Need (SEN) is a significant difficulty or barrier that affects a child's ability to learn and to access the curriculum.

A Disability is a long term health condition which causes a difficulty or barrier to learn or to access the curriculum.

School Offer 

In line with statutory guidelines every school in the UK has to provide parents and carers with information about how they support children’s needs. The following questions and answers will identify key points and if you require further information please contact our Inclusion Manager - Ruth Mackintosh.

How do we identify children’s needs? 

The aim is to identify children’s needs as soon as possible in their learning journey.

We can do this by

  • Identifying which children are not making expected progress by tracking  their achievements.
  • Having termly meetings with class teachers, senior leadership and key staff to discuss any concerns regarding the progress or well being of any child.
  • Listening to concerns raised by parents /carers.

What should I do if I think that my child has Special Educational Needs? 

If you are concerned that your child has a special educational need (SEN), you can speak to your child’s class teacher or any member of the Inclusion Team who will then follow up your concerns.

Two members of the Inclusion Team are available at the school gate at the beginning and end of each day or you can call the school number (02089855779) and select the Inclusion Team option.

How will the school respond to my concerns? 

The Inclusion Manager will arrange to meet with you and any relevant staff to discuss the concerns that you have.  If your child is identified as making limited progress within any of the four broad areas of need as identified in the ‘Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice’, then we can discuss and plan any additional support and any necessary referrals to professionals outside of school.

What can the school do to support my child’s needs? 

Every child at Kingsmead receives Quality First Teaching.

This means:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class with differentiated activities, teaching approaches and grouping.
  • Your child’s teacher will monitor and track your child’s progress in all areas of learning and will be aware in which areas your child needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Children will receive different support, depending upon their specific needs. The class teacher will decide which strategies and resources are appropriate to support your child's needs. The Inclusion Manager will discuss additional support provided for your child when appropriate and, where outside agencies are involved, they will provide advice about how best to support your child's needs.

Here are some examples of ways we may support your child:

For children with learning needs:

  • Increased adult support such as working 1:1 with a teaching assistant or working in a group in or out of class with a particular learning focus.
  • Receiving additional support from a Teaching and Learning Associate in school
  • Receiving specialist teacher support for literacy or numeracy.

For children with speech, language and communication needs:

  • Access to a language group
  • Support and planned work set by a Speech and Language Therapist

For children with social, mental or emotional needs:

  • An individual behaviour plan
  • Learning mentor support
  • Access to a Circle of Friends Group

Additional provision at Kingsmead involves an initial assessment of need, a planning meeting with relevant adults, a time limited intervention and an assessment of how successful the intervention has been.

What is my role as the Parent/Carer of a child with Special Educational Needs? 

  • You will be asked to come to meetings each term to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) or Educational Psychologist (EP). This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with you, your child, their class teacher and the Inclusion Manager to understand your child’s needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set specific targets which will include their expertise
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a Speech and Language Group.

This type of support is available for a child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and who therefore has been identified as requiring SEN Support.

If your child’s needs cannot be met using the SEN support available to Kingsmead from within the school or from seeking the support of outside agencies, you will be asked to meet to discuss the possibility of requesting an Education, Health and Care Plan from Hackney Learning Trust.

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)? 

Children with the most complex and significant special educational needs will be considered for an Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP).

An EHCP will look at all the needs a child or young person has across education, health and care. From September 2014, Statements of Special Educational Need will be replaced by Education, Health and Care Plans. This document will continue to outline a pupil's special educational need and will include the needs of the child across health and care too. Professionals from each area, along with parents/carers and the child, will consider what outcomes are desired and what is needed to achieve them. It will be a much more child friendly document, based around the pupil and their family. Over a 2-3 year period, most current Statements will be replaced by an EHCP at a child's annual review.

Who will support my child in school? 

If your child is identified as needing SEN Support the following staff will be involved in supporting your child:

  • Qualified and experienced teachers
  • Experienced and skilled teaching assistants

The following people may also be involved depending on your child’s need:



Service Provided

Ruth Mackintosh

Inclusion Manager

Manages support for children

Emma de Sausmarez

Communications & Community Liaison

Support for families and children

Paul Taylor

Learning Mentor

Supports children with social, mental and emotional difficulties.

Roderick Ryan, Alice Lloyd, Julia Simon

Teaching and Learning Associates

Individual, paired or group support for children in and out of class.


Non class based Teaching Assistants

Individual, paired or group support for children in and out of class.

Bryony Howe

Su Batuwitage

Educational Psychologists

Support and Guidance for staff/ parents /students.

Poppy Turner

Speech and Language Therapist

Support for students with Speech and Language difficulties

Marilyn Clare

Specialist Teacher of Deaf and Partially Hearing Children

Support for students with hearing impairments.

Siobhan Ryan

Traveller Education Service Coordinator

Advises and supports Traveller Families

Angela Onyia

School Nurse

General medical support and advice for students/parents and staff and developing care plans for individuals.

Dr Dorgu /Dr Davies

Child and Family Consultation Service NHS East London Foundation Trust

Support for students with complex needs e.g. Mental Health.

Various therapists

Occupational Therapist

Support for students with co-ordination difficulties

Various therapists


Support for students with physical disabilities

What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s achievement? How will I know how well my child is progressing? 

We would encourage you to speak to your child’s class teacher or a member of the Inclusion Team if you have any concerns about your child. Meetings can be arranged during the school year when you or the class teacher feel that there are issues to discuss.

You will also have two formal opportunities at Parent/Carer Evenings to meet with your child’s class teacher to discuss your child’s progress.  Further opportunities to meet with the class teacher can be made throughout the year if you or the class teacher have any further concerns.

A child identified on the SEND register as having SEN Support will also have these same opportunities with the addition of discussing and reviewing targets in the child’s IEP (Individual Education Plan). Additional SEN Support meetings may be required throughout the year especially when there is the involvement of outside professionals.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan then they will have reviews on a minimum of a yearly basis to discuss in detail their individual needs and ensure that the right provision is in place.

How will my child’s views be heard? 

Your child will be able to contribute at all SEND reviews should he or she be old enough and/or be able to contribute. Where possible, children will attend review meetings and have the opportunity to make their views known through at least termly meetings with a key adult. 

How will you help me to support my child’s learning? 

  • The class teacher may suggest strategies of how to support your child.
  • A member of the Inclusion Team may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies at home.
  • If outside agencies have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 

If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is complied with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff supporting the pupil.

Key members of staff are trained to use an EpiPen. Other staff training is arranged when necessary to support any child with medical needs.

Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both the child and the staff member.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school? 

These services are accessed depending on the level and type of need, which can change on a regular basis.

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • First Steps (CAMHS)
  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Social Services
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Hackney Ark (sometimes referred to as MARS – Multi Agency Referral Service)
  • Re-Engagement Unit
  • PRU (Pupil Referral Unit)
  • School Nurse
  • School Doctor
  • Inclusion Team
  • Young Hackney – pastoral, behaviour support

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND completed or are currently completing? 

Different members of staff have received training related to SEND - these have included:

  • How to support children with speech and language difficulties
  • How to support children on the autistic spectrum
  • How to support children with behavioural, social and emotional needs
  • How to support children in literacy and numeracy.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including  school trips? 

Activities and school trips are available to all children.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • If it is felt necessary, a parent or carer may be asked to accompany a child during the activity depending on the intensity of the 1:1 support.

How accessible is the school environment? 

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

  • All classrooms apart from two are on the ground floor.
  • All public access rooms, including front and back entrances, toilets, E-learning zone, lunch hall and main hall are on the ground floor.

How will the school prepare my child when joining Kingsmead Primary School or  transferring to a new school? 

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as effective as possible. These include:

  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • At the end of the Summer Term all pupils attend a transition session in which they spend time with their new class teacher and support staff. Teachers and support staff also meet at this time of year to discuss children’s individual needs with the new staff for the following year.
  • For children starting school in Reception, we hold information sessions for new parents to get to know Kingsmead.
  • Additional visits are arranged for pupils who may need extra time in their new school/class.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining the new school and there are transition visits for all pupils to attend their new secondary schools in the Summer term.
  • The Inclusion Manager will liaise with the relevant staff from other schools to share information regarding SEND pupils and their individual needs.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, the Inclusion Manager may arrange a separate meeting between the new school Inclusion Manager, Parents/Carers, pupil and other relevant professionals.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the pupil’s special educational needs? 

  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at a review meeting or if a concern has been raised at another point during the term.
  • Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances

Who can I contact for further information? 

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the class teacher or the Inclusion Manager.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school.

School contact Number: 0208 985 5779

A PDF of all the information on this page is available below.

You can also find more information on the following website:

Next review date for SEND offer: June 2019